Morning y’all and welcome to Warm Beer, Cold Coffee! With a new month starting, I have new goals a brewin’ and stewin’ in my brain. So I’d like to share them with you all if that’s okay! April is one of my favorite months because for starters, it’s my birth month! Whoop whoop! But also I love how you can feel the turn in weather to more spring like vibes. And I am alllll here for the spring like vibes!
Before I share my April goals, I want to do a quick recap on how my March goals went.
I am happy to say that I had ZERO fast food for the entire month. I am really pleased with myself and it actually wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. It also helps that we now live in an area where there aren’t many drive throughs. I aim to continue this habit as I feel so much better not eating all that junk.
I did okay with hugging Keenan more, but I sometimes would forget about it. Having the thought somewhat present in my mind definitely helped though. There’s just something about the mindset shift that comes with putting love first that helps make a happier life. I feel like having this goal present in my mind definitely made a happier March for both Keenan and myself. 🙂
I did manage to get outside almost every single day. And I’m not gonna beat myself up over not getting out when there were 90 kmh winds okkkuuurrr! This was a fun goal to work towards and I will continue it into April.
I still somewhat suck at drinking more water, but I’m really trying to always have my water bottle with me. I find if it’s in my hand, I will drink from it. But otherwise it’s an out of sight, out of mind sort of thing for me. My doctor said that I should really aim to drink lots of water though because of a medication I am on for migraines. So if that’s not a good enough reason to drink more water, I don’t know what it is.
And lastly – my exercise routine. I did manage to take rest days, but not three days a week like I had outlined. I ended up finding a routine that worked better for me, and I will share more on this with my April goals below.
Now, movin’ on to my goals for this month.
- Skin Care – You may have noticed fr05om the many different times I have mentioned it that I am a very low maintenance person when it comes to taking care of myself (excluding exercise). I don’t like to spend lots of time getting ready in the mornings or winding down for the night. However, I do want to start a skin care routine. Around this time last year I ordered some skin care from Younique and loved it. I am running out of some items, so I just ordered more. My goal is to hydrate my skin each morning with SPF and lotion and do a nighttime routine. The nighttime routine will consist of washing my face, applying a toner, oil, eye cream and moisturizer. I also want to do an exfoliating mask once a week. The entire nighttime routine should take me no longer than 5-10 minutes, which I totally deserve to give myself. I aim to look at it as a treat for myself each day and a little way to get some selfcare in.
- Call Grandparents Weekly – I am really great about calling my parents and my mom’s mom each day – often even multiple times a day. But my other grandparents need some love too. So my goal is to call each grandparent once a week. It doesn’t have to be a long conversation, but I think it will be nice to check in with them and let them get some time with Andee. I know COVID has been very hard for me, and being on MAT leave where I don’t and can’t really see anyone has made it especially hard. I can only imagine what it has been like for my grandparents as well. Hopefully these weekly chats will help us all feel more connected.
- Get Outside Everyday – I had this as a goal for March, and I really enjoyed it. So now it’s a goal for April as well! Sometimes I counted going to the store with Andee has an outing for each day, but I want to try for a walk around the block each day instead of just running errands. But if life throws me some lemons and I only have time for the errands and not a walk, well so be it.
- No Snacks to Bed! – The other day my mom mentioned to me that I looked like I had lost some weight. She was right in that I had lost about three pounds, and I was wondering what it could have been. Then I realized… I hadn’t taken snacks to bed with me in a few days. Haha! I have never really been a chip girl until I met Keenan. I held off on picking up his chip habit until recently. Now it’s like I crave them before bed! Like what?! Why did you do this to me, Keenan?!?! But really, I am hoping with the new skin care routine in place my mindset will just shift a bit to where I won’t reach into the cupboard before bed and instead reach for that moisturizer! Know what I’m sayin’?
- Exercise Routine – I aimed to build in more rest days last month, and I think I’ve finally found a routine that works best for me. I have started working out two days in a row, then resting for one day, then repeating this cycle. I found that the two on, one off works really well for me both physically and mentally. I’ve also been alternating between weight training and running on my two work days and have really enjoyed this. I aim to stick with this routine and see where it gets me! Also, my soon-to-be sister-in-law challenged me to log 100km this month (that’s 62.14 miles). I don’t know if I can actually achieve this goal, but I will try. Wish me luck!
Do you have any goals you are working towards? Maybe you are sticking strong with a New Year’s resolution – more power to ya if you are! Or maybe you’re like me and need a smaller time frame for your goals. Either way, I encourage you to challenge yourself to think of a few things you want to accomplish whether it be for a week, a month, or a year. Set your goals and work towards them and I promise you will feel so proud of yourself afterwards.